ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Problem to backup files that "cant be found"

2009-05-10 06:32:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Problem to backup files that "cant be found"
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 06:30:15 -0400
On May 10, 2009, at 2:53 AM, admbackup wrote:

psIsHardLink(): Could not open file <X:\...(omited)......\xxxxx.JPG>
error code is <3>

ANS4005E Error processing '\\x$\.....(omited)....\xxxxx.JPG': file
not found

The weird thing is that the objects that I am trying to backup do
exist in those routes.

What is means the "psIsHardLink():" part?

Speculating based upon my programming experience, psIsHardLink() seems
to be a private C function in the TSM client which ostensibly returns
a boolean true/false result if the path specification it is given
resolves to a hard link in the file system.  Hard links, unlike
symbolic links, should not be spoofable: their targets should always
exist, in that they should be directory entries associated with an
existing file.  The error code 3 would seem to be
ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND, where the specified path (rather than file) is
not found.  All this may suggest integrity problems in the file
systems.  Check the Windows Event Log for anomalies.  I would perform
a full inspection of the objects in the file system to gauge their
veracity.  Attempt to copy one and see what results.  If that should
work, perform a TSM Selective backup on it and see what results.  You
may have to run a file system analyzer to see how healthy the file
system is (which is good to do periodically anyway.)

   Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs/