ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] limit on number of filespaces per node?

2009-05-08 12:13:24
Subject: [ADSM-L] limit on number of filespaces per node?
From: David E Mussulman <mussulma AT ILLINOIS DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:13:01 -0500
Hey all,

We're planning a new file server project that will use SunOS and ZFS for
many user home directories.  Since the ZFS best practice involves a file
system for each user, am I going to run into TSM difficulties or
limitations if I have a node with ~2-3k file systems?  Or more?  Is
there a fixed or practical TSM limit for the number of file systems a
single node should have?  Or a TSM server, for that matter?

It's working well enough on our testbed with about 200 file systems on a
single node, but I want to know if I'm going to be in for a challenge.
The Sun admins don't seem concerned about that many file systems on the
Sun box.  I'm just wondering what TSM will make of it.

My server's TSM 5.5.1.0 under RHEL4, in case that matters.  I don't see
getting 6.1 implemented before the ZFS project goes live.

Thanks for the insight,
Dave