ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Migration from Windows to Linux

2009-05-07 15:43:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Migration from Windows to Linux
From: Desalegne Guangul <Desalegne.T.Guangul AT KP DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:42:24 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I need all your help on this. There are a lot of topics on the archive
about migration but none of them address my questions.  I'm migrating TSM
v 5.3.3.1 on Windows 2000 server to TSM v 5.5.0  on SuSE Linux (SELS 10 sp
2).

Most of the topics talks about moving the whole system from the older
hardware to all new set of hardware.  In my case all I'm allowed to
upgrade is the server only.  So, I have to use the same old library  (LTO
3583) and the same storage pools devices.  I have setup the server to
server communication to use the export/import command.

Here are some of the problems:

1) I  mounted the storage pools on the Linux server but I have a read only
permission even for the root user.
2) say we find way to get to write to the above storage pools on linux ,
how do that affect the files since the storage pools are created on the
windows system with NTFS file system?

The only way I can think of get around this problem is to completely wipe
out the storage pools data and recreate it under the linux file system.
Then use the export/import commands from the existing on site tapes to
move the data back to the storage pools.

The problem with that is my boss want me to run both servers side by side
until we are sure that the Linux server is stable.  Is this possible?  If
so how do I do that?

P.S. I have contacted IBM TSM support group and still waiting an answer
from them.

Thank you all,

Desalegne Guangul
Regional Occupational Health
1800 Harrison St. 21st Floor
510-625-3038 or tieline 8/428-3038

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
saving them.  Thank you.