ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] backup performance on intel server

2009-04-30 14:53:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] backup performance on intel server
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:49:05 +0200
On Thursday 30 April 2009, Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT wrote:
> 1 Gb Ethernet is about 100Mb/sec
Maybe nick picking, but for me: 100Mb = 100 Mbit, 100MB is 100 MByte.

> LTO4 is about 120Mb/sec + compression
Mhh, I was counting 80 MB/s up to 160 MB/s with compression ratio 2:1.

> A good SCSI or FC drive is good for about 100Mb/sec
The disk storage fot the client is an n Series from IBM (16 TB), but also 12
TB local (scsi attached) disks.

> Assuming you can stream 3 threads across the Ethernet, you will not be able
> to keep the 3 LTO4 drives busy because of the network.  The faster tape
> drives were not intended to take data from the Ethernet. Assuming some sort
> of RAID and careful selection of file system backup times the disk can keep
> up with the network if the read is sequential and the backup software can
> find the data fast enough. Make sure you have multiple busses.  Basically I
> would look for a PCI-Express system with enough slots for the Ethernet and
> RAID or HBA controllers.
>
> I would be stressed about making the window and since you are using a
> traditional backup solution the fulls will be tough.
The customer was counting on a 24hr or even a 48hr backup window on saterday
and sunday.  And for the stress, this is solution is pushed from the head
quarters in America to the customer in Belgium.  They wanted a DS48 from IBM
+ TSM....

Thanx for the info.

Stef