ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] backup performance on intel server

2009-04-30 14:28:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] backup performance on intel server
From: "Huebner,Andy,FORT WORTH,IT" <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:27:27 -0500
1 Gb Ethernet is about 100Mb/sec
LTO4 is about 120Mb/sec + compression
A good SCSI or FC drive is good for about 100Mb/sec

Assuming you can stream 3 threads across the Ethernet, you will not be able to
keep the 3 LTO4 drives busy because of the network.  The faster tape drives
were not intended to take data from the Ethernet.
Assuming some sort of RAID and careful selection of file system backup times
the disk can keep up with the network if the read is sequential and the backup
software can find the data fast enough.
Make sure you have multiple busses.  Basically I would look for a PCI-Express
system with enough slots for the Ethernet and RAID or HBA controllers.

I would be stressed about making the window and since you are using a
traditional backup solution the fulls will be tough.

Andy Huebner