ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue

2009-04-30 12:41:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape Drive SN issue
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:40:58 -0400
Here are some things to do . . .

Check that the tape drive is logged into the switch port, and you see the
wwn on the switch port.
Check the tape drive that it sees the san - usually a light indicating a
connection to the san by the cable port (3592's have this, not sure about
3590E's)
Check that the wwn on the switch port is the same as was there previously
(ie: the wwn didn't change)
Check that the zone is correct (you didn't change it . . .but . . .).
Check the wwn on the AIX RMT device matches what you see on the switch port
(lsattr -El rmtX)
  (do this for all RMT paths to the tape drive)
Check what atape thinks about the paths (tapeutil -f /dev/rmtX path)
Check that the tsm tape device (wwm, s/n) matches the AIX rmt devices,
which matches the actual tape device.
Try the cable in a different drive that you know works.
Try the drive with a cable from a working drive.
Stick a tape in the drive and try and tar some data onto it (ie: bypass
TSM).
Try bypass cable straight from the tape drive direct to another server with
a open hba, and see if it drive comes in and is usable (tar stuff onto a
tape).

Rick

             "Huebner,Andy,FOR
             T WORTH,IT"
             <Andy.Huebner@ALC                                          To
             ONLABS.COM>               ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         Re: Tape Drive SN issue
             .EDU>

             04/30/2009 10:40
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Update:
We turned on TapeAlertMSG - no new messages
We have changed the GBics on the switches - No change
We had IBM do a health check on the drives - Last abnormal error was months
earlier on one drive.  The other two were clean.
We have updated the firmware to the same version as a drive not having the
issue.  The troubled drives were slightly lower version - No change
We updated the drives to the current firmware - No change
We swapped cables with one of the working drives - No change
We verified the cabling on all drives - It was done right
We have opened a case - Waiting for call back.
We have considered kicking it - Might dent it.
We have run out of ideas - Heads are being scratched.

The question is what did we miss?

Andy Huebner