ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] best backup method for millions of small files?

2009-04-30 00:35:34
Subject: [ADSM-L] best backup method for millions of small files?
From: Mehdi Salehi <iranian.aix.support AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:58:25 +0330
Hi,
There is an NTFS filesystem in windows with 20 millions of small files less
than 20 KB each. The total size of the filesystem is less than 300GB.
I have not tried incremental backup, because that would be a nightmare.
Again, inc backup is not a good choice because the long restoration time is
not acceptable us.
I tested the snapshot image backup and satisfied with backup time. Now the
problem is how to perform the incremental for this image backup.
Unfortunately "incremental-by-date of last image" scans the whole files to
filter which files must be in the backup list and would take a tremendous
amount of time. This is not acceptable as well.
The ideal behavior that I expect from TSM is journal based incremental
backup for image which is apparently not supported by TSM 5.3.
more info:
-the change rate for this filesystem is about 20 thousands of files per day
-TSM version is 5.3

What do you recommend for this case? Please include TSM 6.1 featues if
exist.

Regards,
Mehdi Salehi