ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L]

2009-04-29 16:53:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L]
From: "Bell, Charles (Chip)" <Chip.Bell AT BHSALA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:51:23 -0500
Well, I'm showing my current config, and further down, I'm asking what would
be the best way to do it? One of the problems is that there are 36 NTFS mount
points presented through this one server (called EHIMFS1), and each mount
point has 5 to million files each. I had to attempt to back all of that up
within one business day, until their app came up with a way to only use one
mount point at a time. Their app is designed in a way that the user cannot
alter the original file, but can create modifications that serves as pointers
to the original file. The app owner is usually very careful about this sort
of thing, but she seems to have no reservation going to the "Let's keep only
the active copy, if the files are never changing". It's driving my TSM DB
size way up, and it almost fully utilized. I don't want to add more to the
220+ GB it already is.

The scenario

The first 19 mount points are "full" to their app. I have been told I can
back these up once a month, and I want to change from incremental to image
backup, change the retention to keep one copy of any kind (hence the active),
so that the previous incremental backups will expire and I can reclaim DB
space backup... WHEW!

I would backup the most recently "filled" mount point, the one currently
being written to, and the next-to-be-written-to on an incremental basis, and
so on. As one has been filled, it will move to a monthly image backup. Am I
not making sense in my thinking?? Please straighten me out if not...