ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Meandering post on offsite reclamation including very large files.

2009-04-28 13:20:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Meandering post on offsite reclamation including very large files.
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:23:34 -0500
On Apr 28, 2009, at 8:54 AM, Allen S. Rout wrote:

The cleanest way to handle these huge files, if I'd anticipated this
corner case when I started, would be to arrange for the big files to
be in their own separate storage heirarchy.  I'd never even reclaim
the copy stgpool volumes from there: It's not worth the extra motion.
I may still get around to doing that.

What's keeping you from setting that up for this point forward? You
won't easily get those large copies out of the current copypool, but
you can make sure new large files from those DB2 clients are
segregated from now on.

Alternately, perhaps you should set up collocation by groups on your
copypool, but that depends on how you're already using collocation
groups and, I suppose, the size of your copypool media, because
smaller volumes are more compatible with collocation by groups.

I'm all in favor of improving the product, but I'm also a fan of
improving the situation at hand while we wait for better tools.

Just a thought,
NIck