ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Green issue: How to avoid leaving clients on all night

2009-04-22 09:44:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Green issue: How to avoid leaving clients on all night
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:42:30 -0400
At 08:55 PM 4/21/2009, Roger Deschner wrote:
Has anybody figured out a way around this basic problem?

We are working on scripts that address this, along the lines of what others
have suggested.  We have a pair of scripts, as follows:

preschedcmd script:
prompts user before backup runs and gives them a chance to:
1. run the backup (default if no response received)
2. defer - ask the question again later
3. cancel - don't run the backup

postnschedcmd script:
runs following completion of backup.  We do postN for the reasons that Andy
indicated - to allow the scheduler to report status of backup back to tsm
server.  This script asks the user if they want to shutdown, and it
defaults if no response is received.

There are defaults, command line options, and registry settings (on
Windows) that control behavior.  These would allow customization on
per-system basis or via CLOPTSET, etc.  On windows, we are using a 3rd
party shareware utility that allows options to shutdown, hibernate,
suspend, et. al.

We have this virtually done on Windows, and are turning our attention to
Macs next.

A year or so ago I asked IBM if they would put something like this into the
product and was told that I could do it myself using exits.  Not the answer
that I was hoping for.

I intend to share this, and would hope that sites using it could contribute
ideas to make it better over time.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521