ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM sharing a library.

2009-03-31 17:31:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM sharing a library.
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:23:24 -0500
On Mar 30, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Ochs, Duane wrote:

Good day everyone,

Does anyone have any experience sharing a single library with multiple
TSM servers?

Several of us do; it's a common configuration -- although it may be
more common to share two libraries, one for primary storage pools and
one for copypools.

We purchased a Spectralogic T950 with LTO4 drives and the capacity of
the library is enormous.

I used to support a T950; lots of capacity for the tiny footprint.
Packing it with LTO4s ought to make it insanely dense.

And our amount of data is equally enormous, but certainly exceeds a
single TSM DB.

All backup data is from remote sites.

At a minimum what will I need to successfully use multiple AIX TSM
instances to utilize a single library ?

I don't recall there being anything odd about the T950 compared to,
say, an IBM 3584/TS3500. You make sure you have lots of SAN
connectivity between your TSM servers and the T950, presumably
multiple fibres into the T950. You make sure you know which drive in
the library is which drive on each hosts, and you define paths
accordingly on the library manager image.

If you think you have T950-specific issues, contact me OFFLINE and
I'll try to connect you with former colleagues still supporting one.

Thanks,

Duane

Nick