ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Documentation for TSM 6.1 device configuration file

2009-03-30 15:24:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Documentation for TSM 6.1 device configuration file
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:23:10 -0400
The documentation for TSM 6.1 notes that recreating a TSM server
at a site with a different hardware configuration will require
changes in the device configuration file, but is not very helpful
regarding the nature of these changes.

Our own TSM environment writes copy pool volumes to TS1120 drives
in a 3494 library. Our hot site vendor can only supply TS1120
drives in a TS3500 library. If we have to recreate our TSM server
there are upgrading to 6.1, we will obviously need to change the
library definition in the device configuration file, but I have
not found any documentation explaining which options have to be
included or whether there are any restrictions on the order in
which the options appear. We will need to change tape drive
definitions. The changes resulting from different special file
names are straightforward, but it is not clear whether we will
need to make changes resulting from the change in library type.
In particular, it is not clear whether we will need to specify
an element number for each drive. The documentation for the
device configuration file indicates that we will need to add
comment statements indicating volume locations, but does not
specify the format of the comments, or their location in the
file, or whether there are any restrictions on the order in
which different volumes appear.

Is there any documentation available that addresses these issues?