ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????

2009-03-26 13:55:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:54:14 -0500
See Below

See Ya'
Howard

Nothing else.  No reason to.

> 2.    If you have more then one is it because TSM can't fit that
> situation?

Can't think of a situation for DR or backup and recovery.  Email
archiving is not it's thing, but it can't be beat for Enterprise level
data protection combined with a high level of granularity around
specific files / folders.

> 3.    Would you prefer to have one? Which one and why?

One - TSM.  Why?  Having multiple back and recovery environments just
invites confusion and terf wars.  It's non-productive.  If you need a
security wall just setup another TSM server for those isolated boxes.

> I also have a separate question for those with mainframes. I have
> absolutely no knowledge when it comes to TSM and the mainframe and
> would
> like someone to tell me how TSM and the mainframe integrate together.
> Our mainframe has some sort of backup software, I assume integrated
> with
> the operating system, so back things up. I was wondering if the
> mainframe can back up to the TSM server or if you must run a TSM
server
> on the mainframe and back it up locally.

I don't work in a shop that has one any longer, but, TSM started on the
Mainframe, so . . .