ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????

2009-03-25 16:39:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:35:37 -0400
>> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:34:11 -0700, "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT
>> SAIC DOT COM> said:

> I'd like to ask these questions to the group if you don't mind. Feel
> free to add whatever you like if you think there is a better
> question I should be asking

'What are your requirements'.

I'm biased, of course; but I find that people who don't understand
backups _love_ BE and are terrified by TSM.  BE has nice windowsy
GUIs, and it feels kind of like what MS office would be if it did
backups.  Cute icons that change appearance.... Comfort zone.

Getting people to state their requirements: recovery window, frequency
of backup, retention, etc.  is the most effective beginning to this
process.  It gives you an opportunity to quickly flush out those whose
real opinion goes something like 'HURRR HURR I CAN WING IT HURRRRR'.

You can then determine wether to educate them into actually
contributing something, or just kick them off the island.

Then, with the requirements as a backdrop, you can conduct an actual
comparison of the products.  The folks who actually know BE are not
nearly so hard to communicate with as are the ingenues.

- Allen S. Rout