ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM V6 Tivoli Clients

2009-03-24 16:10:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM V6 Tivoli Clients
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:08:35 -0500
Greetings,
I think I will weigh in on this one.  I think most of our Windows TSM
client missed/failed backups fall pretty evenly into four groups:

1) Fixable problems within the OS, including VSS and WMI service
failures/hangs.  Included in this group is the occasional corrupt
file/filesystem, or Windows OS in memory meltdown.
2) On large filesystems, problems with the TSM scheduler or journal
services hanging.  Sometimes these are resolvable with Windows registry
hacks, or "memoryefficientbackup yes", or adding "3GB" to the
system.ini.
3) Unexplainable random events, where restarting the TSM services makes
the problem disappear, but we can't prove there was a certain cause.
4) Fixable problems with our processes, like other admins taking down a
system for maintencance, and not telling us to remove it from the
schedule.

In the past year we upgraded all ~1500 Windows clients here to 5.4.2.0
(except for the Windows 2000 servers, that had to stay behind on 5.3.6.)
We tried various flavors of 5.5, but none were as reliable as 5.4.2,
which sort of surprised me.  We gave up trying 5.5 a few months ago, so
maybe it is cleaned up by newer version now.  We don't have enough hands
to upgrade all the clients more than about once a year, so when we find
a stable version, we generally stick with it.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sisters of Mercy Health Systems
Email:  John.Schneider AT Mercy DOT net