ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Dear Tuscon

2009-03-24 09:57:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Dear Tuscon
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:56:45 -0400
The TSM database is about 30 GB used of 46 GB assigned. We have a sub-rate T1
to our hot-site, with an RS-6000 installed. We are currently running mksysb
images out to the system with rsync; they run to about 4.7 GB each and take
about 1.2 hours. They also put enough load on the corporate internet link that
we can only run them from 19:00 to 05:30 local time. We're actually running our
corporate WAN over AT&T's EVPN service, so all out manufacturing locations are
tied in through the same local router interfaces.

And SAP's GUI interface does NOT handle time-outs at all well . . .

We'd need a higher bandwith permanent allocation both at our hot-site and at
corporate to handle the load, and the cost-justification just isn't there. So
we take 6 TSM database tape to the hot-site when we run tests (two each, from
roughly 12 hour intervals) and figure that worst-case we'll lose half a day.
Like I said, we haven't had a database read failure - yet - so I can't really
build a case for the datacom costs.

Tom