ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Calculating Change in Backup Environment

2009-03-18 17:25:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Calculating Change in Backup Environment
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:23:56 +1100
Dennis,

FWIW, I don't like a N days/N versions strategy.  It can have unexpected
side effects.

N Days/unlimited versions has more predictable behaviour and also is more
efficient at expiry time.

Regards

Steve.

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia

             "Dennis, Melburn
             (IT Solutions
             US)"                                                       To
             <melburn.dennis@S         ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             IEMENS.COM>                                                cc
             Sent by: "ADSM:
             Dist Stor                                             Subject
             Manager"                  [ADSM-L] Calculating Change in
             <[email protected]         Backup Environment
             .EDU>

             18/03/2009 11:46
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Currently, our backup environment employs a 90-day / 7 revision backup
policy.  My customer has come to me to find out how much our backup data
would grow or shrink if we went to a 21-day / 21-revision backup policy.
Have any of you out there experience requests like this before, and if
so, how were you able to get a reasonable guestimate of this.

Mel Dennis
Systems Engineer II

Siemens IT Solutions and Services, Inc.
Energy Data Center Operations
4400 Alafaya Trail
MC Q1-108
Orlando, FL 32826
Tel.: 407-736-2360
Mob: 321-356-9366
Fax: 407-243-0260
mailto:melburn.dennis AT siemens DOT com
www.usa.siemens.com/it-solutions