ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Two different retention policies for the same node

2009-03-17 17:19:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Two different retention policies for the same node
From: "Conway, Timothy" <Timothy.Conway AT JBSSA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:18:10 -0600
Is this to avoid having two copypools?  That's a reasonable goal.   I
have only one copypool, which is my DR offsite pool.  Just make your
onsite copypool an offsite pool, and you can give them 25 times better
than they're asking for.
Unless most of the data changes every day, the difference between 7 days
and 180 days worth of copypool is remarkably small.
If you have no copypool at all, the whole thing is a farce.
If they're wanting fast portable full restores of a subset of the total
nodes, how about backupsets?  Make a nodegroup containing all the nodes
they want daily fulls of, and make a backupset of that nodegroup every
day.  Give the backupset a 7 day retention, and keep track of the
volumes that are in the list of backupset volumes from one day that
disappear the next (simple to script).  That same script can note tapes
that show up in the list of backupset volumes that weren't there the day
before, and check them out of the library and throw your operations team
an email listing every tape to be sent offsite and to be recalled.  I
find that I can generate file-class backupsets(with TOC) at about 27MB/S
- 8.5 hours to do an 814GB node, single-threaded.