ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Windows archive and per-user permissions?

2009-03-13 17:08:53
Subject: [ADSM-L] Windows archive and per-user permissions?
From: Jim Zajkowski <jamesez AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:06:55 -0400
It seems that the TSM client for Windows is not honoring a user's
rights when handling archives that came from a netware server.

The backstory: we have a NetWare server that we'd like to let our
users archive their data off of and onto TSM-managed tape.  We
currently do this just fine for our Linux users and their NFS-mounted
directories, so we thought it would be a keen idea to install TSM on a
Windows 2000 Terminal Server as a kisok.  That way we'd not have to
hand out TSM usernames or passwords, etc.

On the Linux side, if user foo archives some data, user bar doesn't
see it and can't restore it.  It doesn't matter where the files
archived were, the permissions seem to map through.

On the Windows side, though, user foo archived some files sitting on
the NetWare server.  User bar *can* restore those files to arbitrary
paths.  However, foo can archive from a NTFS local directory, and user
bar will not see it and cannot restore it.

Is there any way to make this work?  Does it work correctly with
Windows file servers?

--Jim