ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] MIGRATE NODE oddities

2009-03-05 16:02:19
Subject: [ADSM-L] MIGRATE NODE oddities
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:59:11 -0600
z/OS TSM 5.4.3.0
AIX TSM 5.5.1.1

MIGRATE NODE doesn't seem to preserve collocation group membership.

Is this WAD or a bug? (I can see arguments about how complex it gets if the
target node doesn't have the collocation groups defined, but this doesn't
even try!)

Also, "MIGRATE NODE yyy TOS=xxx FILED=ALL FSID=1 PREVIEWI=YES" is reading
the source tapes! I was hoping (and expecting!) it to get the needed
information from the database without mounting tapes. Heck, part of the
intent of the PREVIEWI=YES was to avoid introducing tape contention issues
on the older, production server as I stand up its replacement.

Again, is that a bug, or sign of a user error, or just WAD? (BAD?) Does the
behavior change if I don't specify the FSID?

Guess what I'm doing this month!

Thanks,
Nick

Glossary:
WAD - working as designed
BAD - as designed, even if customers might say it's "broken" (or we regret
designing it that way).