ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is it possible to integrate mksysb and Windows OS backup into TSM?

2009-03-02 16:03:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is it possible to integrate mksysb and Windows OS backup into TSM?
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:01:47 -0500
I don't know about mksysb, but you can certainly make bootable TSM for Sysback
backups to TSM and use them for AIX bare metal restores via NIM.

David

>>> Mehdi Salehi <iranian.aix.support AT GMAIL DOT COM> 2/28/2009 10:41 AM >>>
Hi experts,
I have some questions about Tivoli Storage Manager, Sysback and FastBack. I
appreciate your comments on the follwoing items. The goal of the following
items is that I am looking for a way to centralized operating system backups
in TSM. The ideal is having one tape autoloader which posesses all kinds of
backups including files and directories, raw devices, database backups and
certainly OS backups. These backups are located in storage pools and
cartridges where just TSM knows and can be restoreable automatically on
demand. So many expectations? (LOL)

Hypotheses:

1- mksysb backup can be managed by TSM
2- If yes, mksysb can be restored from TSM via TCP/IP network (something
like NIM mksysb restore)
3- mksysb backup can be managed Sysback+TSM
4- If yes, mksysb can be restored from (sysback+TSM) via TCP/IP network
5- mksysb backup on tape should be manipulated by Sysback or mksysb command
with manual intervention (loading and mounting cartdige)
6- what about windows bare machine backup and recovery? Is is possible to
integrate Tivoli FastBack into TSM so that OS image goes to TSM storage
pools automatically? Can I restore it via network?

Thanks so much,
Mehdi Salehi