ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to define Library2

2009-02-26 22:46:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to define Library2
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:21:51 -0500
OK, everybody's at the latest AIX and TSM 5.5.2.  The shared library
> manager, NT, now handles CAPEKLIB1 for N1-N6 and has no clients of its own.

So NAS clients have to talk to a different library, right?

>>No.

 And Mr. SAN, two desks down, says all physical connections should be
> LANFree (and Liverpool just scored against Real Madrid on tape, so I've got
> distractions).

>>Um.  Not necessarily.  I think maybe you are reading old stuff about TSM
NDMP support.  You have 2 choices for NDMP, Lan-free or TCP;/IP.

You need to read carefully to understand the differences.  Obviously,
Lan-free keeps the traffic off your LAN.  But there are consequences.  You
get "special" NDMP tapes this way, and you can't copy them- you have to
vault your primary tapes if you want them to go offsite - are you prepared
for that?  If you do your NDMP backup via the LAN, the data goes into the
regular TSM pool hierarchy, and you can create copy pools with the data.
And do individual file restores by creating the TOC.

You need to figure out what your requirements are first, then figure out the
architcture.  I'm no NDMP expert, but I think you need to ask more questions
from people here who have NDMP expertise before you go further...