ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How do you keep track of DB Backup

2009-02-26 14:46:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How do you keep track of DB Backup
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:41:05 -0500
We started with TSM back in the ADSM 2.1 days, when the D/R module was
extra-cost and a bit pricey. We came up with an in-house script to copy the
volume history and the device config file to a floppy daily - and we strapped
the floppy to the database backup with a heavy-duty rubber band.

We still do this, although we no longer write anything to the floppy - it's
just a 'tag' for the support-team member that hauls the tapes between our
computer room and our off-site storage facility.

We run three floppy colors - Red, Orange, and Yellow - with seven in each set,
labeled 'Sunday' through 'Saturday'. We send tapes off-site daily, with the
day's database backup tape. But we only bring the database backups back on
Fridays, just to simplify the process.

This week, for example, is the 'Orange' week. So we've been sending over
database backups with Orange floppies attached. Last week was the 'Red' week.
Tomorrow, the Orange 'Friday' tape goes off-site - and all the 'Red' tapes come
back to be checked back into the library. All of the database backup tapes are
kept together off-site in a dedicated file drawer, separate from TSM-managed
data tapes.

It's simple, effective, and doesn't require looking at bits of paper at
disaster recovery time.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc.