ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Best Practice: Offsite backup of archive data

2009-02-25 06:12:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] Best Practice: Offsite backup of archive data
From: Wido Moersheim <moersheim AT UNI-KOELN DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:10:24 +0100
Hello,

I have an Archive Storagepool which is backed up to a server at a
distant location. Now a Customer wants to have his archived data to be
backed up to yet another location, offsite. The data will be offsite for
about five years. This is supposed to be a one-time operation. I expect
that if the data from the offsite-location is ever needed, the
tsm-server version will have changed, the old version may be even
unsupported.

A year ago I have had problems with exporting data. The old server was
running version 5.2 and that was not supported anymore. So this time I
am looking for a somehow TSM-Server-Version independent way to backup
the data.

First thing I had in mind was creating a backupset. But unfortunately,
backupsets seem to only work with Backup-Data.

Exporting the Data or creating backupsets seem to be a nice thing,
because they both do not increase the size of the db.

Is there anything else, you can recommend?

- Wido