ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] backups direct to tape

2009-02-23 13:29:47
Subject: [ADSM-L] backups direct to tape
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:28:04 -0800
I have a question that I hope those using TSM to back up direct to tape
can answer. We don't, and never have, done this here and I'm not looking
to implement it either. I am really looking for information as to "what
happens to the backup" is a tape error occurs. (I just know I'm going to
get this question when the dba's who have convinced everyone netbackup
and direct to tape is so great) I am interested too if the TSM agents
have the ability to compensate for this compared to a standard client
backup. Will the agent take this into consideration and continue the
backup with a different tape or will it die? The same question applies
to the standard backup.

Thanks for your help.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator