ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Mainframe/TSM Question

2009-02-20 11:56:41
Subject: [ADSM-L] Mainframe/TSM Question
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:52:57 -0800
I am in a fight to, what looks like, justify why we should keep TSM and
not move everything to netbackup. But without going into details (very
long and aggravating story in which I may have to leave and look for
work elsewhere) I have a question as it relates to the mainframe. We
have one here but are not using TSM on it or with it. Whatever delivered
mainframe software there is, I think but could be wrong, is all they
use. There are 2 3590 drives connected I believe scon, so it can do its
thing.

How does, if at all, TSM change the environment on the mainframe to be
able to back up to LTO Drives? Is it possible or will it still need this
unit in the 3494 to do its backups even with TSM?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator