ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tracking who "owns" a node

2009-02-20 10:21:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tracking who "owns" a node
From: "Huebschman, George J." <GJHuebschman AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:20:39 -0500
We update static information to the CONTACT field.  The information we
use is from the structured procedures our company uses for making
changes in the environment.  We use a case number that can be traced
back to the folks and documentation related to the creation of the
server and the request for TSM backup.  It also covers our butts when
someone asks, "Why did you do it that way, why is it scheduled here,
with only xyz retention?"  We can look it up in moments.

It is not perfect, people and departments change often enough that it is
only a lead, but we can usually find out what the server does and by
extension, who currently owns the box or the application without too
much trouble.

George H.