ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Supported multi-version TSM?

2009-02-14 08:27:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Supported multi-version TSM?
From: Mark Stapleton <Mark.Stapleton AT CDW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 07:26:22 -0600
Even better...

We're recommending to customers that they build a new physical server, install
a fresh copy of TSM 6.1, point the TSM clients at the new server, and let the
new machine handle backups.

Yes, that can cause a full backup for the client. To minimize this we're
looking at a combination of 1) staged cutovers to the new server and 2) exports
of client data from the old machine to the new machine. This will allow a
stepback to the old machine in case the move is unsuccessful. When everyone's
cut over, you let the old machine sit online (for restores) for a few months.

Yes, it will be time-consuming. Yes, it will draw upon library resources. But
it minimizes downtime to (hopefully) nothing and sidesteps the entire TSM db
upgrade process--the two greatest fears customers are expressing.

Sounds complex? daunting? You can either do it yourself (it's not that hard to
plan for), or you hire someone to do it for you--your choice.

--
Mark Stapleton
System engineer, CDW