ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Oracle TDP restore performance

2009-02-05 17:42:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] Oracle TDP restore performance
From: john bremer <jbremer AT LANL DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:41:07 -0700
All,

This is a question similar to one that was recently posted but never
quite answered:

http://www.mail-archive.com/adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu/msg79786.html

We have a user who backs up Oracle databases on AIX 5.3 using RMAN and
the TDP 5.4 to a TSM 5.3 server. He uses 12 RMAN channels to back up a
few hundred GB database to a TSM disk pool in ~1 hour. A restore of the
same data takes 7 hours even though the data stays on disk and RMAN is
told to use 8 restore channels. A "q session" on the TSM server during
the restore shows only 1 restore session for the node.

Our first thought was to increase the "ResourceUtilization"  option on
the client and "MaxMountPoint" option for the node on the TSM server.
However, the Linux-UNIX TSM client manual states that "If all of the
files are on disk, only one session is used. There is no multi-session
for a pure disk storage pool restore."

Anyone have any hints or tips on how to speed up a pure disk Oracle
RMAN/TDP restore? Is the solution that we should flush the db backups to
tape in order to be able to make use of "ResourceUtilization" and
"MaxMountPoints" settings?

John Bremer
LANS LLC, Tivoli Backup