ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up BlackBoard servers with "illegal characters" in filenames

2009-02-03 12:11:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up BlackBoard servers with "illegal characters" in filenames
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:08:50 -0500
Whereas these are ANE4042E messages, meaning client messages logged on
the server, it's possible that characters seen in the path recorded in
the message may not be what's actually on the client, due to character
set differences.  In my experience, Linux is particularly prone to
this condition.  The LANG and LC_ALL locale environment variables may
need tailoring so that the TSM client can make sense of all the file
path characters and be happy to proceed with the backups.  (I suspect
that many sites don't realize how many files they are not backing up
because of this problem, not surveying their scheduler and dsmerror
log files.)

   Richard Sims