ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM admin processes

2009-01-29 00:23:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM admin processes
From: Paul Dudley <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:21:39 +1100
On Jan 26, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Paul Dudley wrote:

>> If there are thousands of files backed up via TSM which will stay on
>> the
>> backup tapes in the library for a number of years probably without
>> being
>> required for a restore, is there a way of moving these files to tapes
>> which can then be checked out of the library, thereby freeing up
slots
>> in the library for more scratch tapes?
>>

> You could employ a two-level storage pool hierarch and MIGDelay in the
> upper level in conjunction with periodic migration, which would
> migrate old files (actually, Aggregates) which had not been recently
> used in restorals.  Thereafter you would use the principle described
> in Admin Guide topic "Managing a Full Library" to externalize the
> lower level volumes.  But: getting operators to respond to mount
> messages to return tapes to the library is problematic.
>
>    Richard Sims  http://people.bu.edu/rbs/

Fortunately I have the use of a second IBM Tape Library for TSM which
uses LTO2 tapes. If I understand you correctly this is what I could set
up:

Currently my BKPPOOL is on disk and the Next Storage Pool for that is
BKPLTO3POOL (LTO3 tapes). I create a new storage pool called
BKPLTO2POOL on the second LTO2 tape library and make that the Next
Storage Pool for BKPLTO3POOL. I then set the MIGDelay parameter for
BKPLTO3POOL to 180 so that any file that has not been written or read in
the past 180 days gets migrated to BKPLTO2POOL.

Is that feasible?

Thanks & Regards
Paul

Paul Dudley
Senior IT Systems Administrator
ANL Container Line Pty Limited
Email: pdudley AT anl.com DOT au
Web: http://www.anl.com.au

ANL DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely to the
named addressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is strictly prohibited.
If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
return e-mail from your system. Please do not copy, use or make reference to it
for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any person.