ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP 5.5.2 and SQL2005 with SQL2008 Components

2009-01-26 10:37:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP 5.5.2 and SQL2005 with SQL2008 Components
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:36:14 -0500
Hi Stefan,

Just so you know... this was done under recommendation and guidance from
Microsoft.
Microsoft changed their SQL Server 2008 libraries in such a way that they
would not allow you to connect to both SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008
with the same executable unless you used the SQL Server 2008 libraries.
Microsoft instructed us (and other 3rd-party vendors) to prereq and
redistribute these. They stated that they would not support
upward compatibility of SQL Server 2005 libraries to connect to
a SQL Server 2008 server. Yes, TSM could have shipped multiple
DP/SQL executables, one for SQL Server 2005 and one for SQL Server 2008,
but that would complicate things for many customers. In addition,
these SQL Server 2008 components can coexist with the SQL Server 2005
components, so it should not affect your SQL Server 2005 server
or any other applications still using SQL Server 2005 components at all.
If you do see any problems, we certainly want to know... and we will
work with you and Microsoft to find any issues. We do not expect it.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/26/2009
08:48:50 AM: