ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDP Sql question about log growing

2009-01-22 03:32:28
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDP Sql question about log growing
From: Robert Ouzen Ouzen <rouzen AT UNIV.HAIFA.AC DOT IL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:31:10 +0200
Hi to all

In a sever Windows 2003 with  SQL database I saw that a log increase very much
( to +26 GB) , it was programmed  with the option Recovery Model:  Full

I run every day a full backup (not any log backup) with the command:

tdpsqlc backup * full /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt
/logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

I add those lines in my dsm.opt:

INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\*"     mgwhighlearnf

INCLUDE "\...\data\...\*"      mgwhighlearnf

If I understand correctly the full backup truncate the log after it finish ???
In my case running just full backup I can turn it to just Recovery Model:
simple

But just for knowledge why the full backup did not clear the log ?????

I first turn the Recovery Model to: simple to run a shrinking procedure (turn
the log to 10MB).

By the way what the difference if instead of the lines of the INCLUDE I wrote
previous I will write:

INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\full*"     mgwhighlearnf

INCLUDE "\...\data\...\full*"      mgwhighlearnf

And let my recovery model to:  Full

Did now it will truncate the log after each full backup ??????? or I need to
add a truncate option somewhere ????

My TDP for SQL version is 5.2.1.0

Regards,

Robert Ouzen