ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Open File Support -Win2k3 32bit vs 64bit

2009-01-15 10:17:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Open File Support -Win2k3 32bit vs 64bit
From: Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:14:51 -0500
I think you should treat all skipped open files the same way. Unless you
know for sure that taking a backup of an open file is OK, I think OFS just
gives you a false warm and fuzzy feeling. Just because you get a backup
doesn't necessarily mean it's a GOOD backup. So now you're at D/R and that
critical file for the application that you've been successfully backing up
with OFS proves to be unusable after the restore.

Plus according to the latest client manual:

There are two snapshot providers that can be used for open file support:
LVSA and VSS (VSS is not supported on WindowsR XP). VSS is the recommended
solution, since it utilizes Microsoft's strategic snapshot solution. The
LVSA is provided for customers migrating from prior versions of TivoliR
Storage Manager, where LVSA was utilized, and as an alternative to VSS if
there are issues with using VSS.

The option is:

Snapshotproviderfs LVSA | VSS | NONE.

Bill Boyer