ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] private tapes empty???

2009-01-09 11:37:03
Subject: [ADSM-L] private tapes empty???
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:35:50 -0600
TSM 5.3.4 on Windows 2K server.
Library is Overland Neo 4000 with 2 HP LTO2 drives.

I've got a libvol LTO2 that was marked as "private" by the server due to a
drive error:

ANR8944E Hardware or media error on drive MT1.0.0.4 (mt1.0.0.4) with
volume ITG043L2(OP=READ, Error Number= 1117, CC=306, KEY=03, ASC=11,
Description=Drive or media failure).
ANR8355E I/O error reading label for volume ITG043L2 drive MT1.0.0.4
(mt1.0.0.4).
ANR8778W Scratch volume ITG043L2 changed to Private Status to prevent
re-access.

I've since cleaned the drive, and that has fixed the problem, I don't
think the media is actually bad. But there was probably some data on the
tape, and I want to try and get the data back, if possible.

The only way I see to access this tape is to update the libvol to
"scratch", but then the server would think it's a blank tape, right?

How to I mark the tape as available to the server again? I can't see any
way to do that?

Thanks!

Alex