ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 --> 6.0 (server)

2008-12-21 06:26:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.4 --> 6.0 (server)
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:26:10 +0100
On 21 dec 2008, at 08:56, Gee, Norman wrote:

I guess with the rumor conversion to DB2, it would no longer be
feasible
to place the database on JBOD mirror by TSM.  The recommendation may
be
RAID 5 or 6 storage with fibre channel disks and not SATA disks. Am I
close?

Well, even with current TSM levels I would only use 15kRPM disks in
RAID1. DB2 has no software mirroring, but your OS might very well do
the job for you, I know that Linux and AIX can, and I think recent
windows levels can do the same. RAID5 or RAID6 are great technologies,
but I don't believe that they mix very well with high performance
databases, not for TSM <= 5.5, and not for DB2 either.

SATA disks are only useful in very small TSM environments (up to a few
gig database), and well, that wont change much with DB2.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post, PLCS
+31624821622