ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows laptop restore advice needed

2008-12-17 21:25:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows laptop restore advice needed
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:24:09 -0500
First thing is to decide exactly what kind of restore you are trying to do.

-In the case of a hard drive failure, and the machine won't boot, do you
want to do a bare-metal restore?  The reason for doing a bare-metal restore
is to recover system state and installed software as well as data.  Isn't
supported across different hardware, although people have reported
considerable success doing it with XP and 2003.

If that's what you really want, search this list for "bare metal restore",
and search the TSM support page for  "bare machine restore", you'll find
lots of instructions.  In general, you reload Windows to the point you can
get back on the network, then restore the C: drive and system state with
the  TSM BA client.

-In the case of a laptop upgrade, you are probably going to be moving to
different hardware and re-establishing the software environment anyway -
you'll probably be installing upgraded/new releases of software, different
drivers, etc.  In that case, usually all you want to do is recover the
user's data.  For that case, I also really like the Tivoli CDP for files
product.  It's very inexpensive, provides continuous protection, and is much
more tolerant of frequent network disconnects.

Either way, you want to get your Windows guys an imaging product (not an
image backup) like Ghost; there are several others on the market as well.
The idea is to create a "pretty standard" desktop setup, that already has
the office, mail, and browser products your company uses installed on it.
You make a copy with the Ghost(like) product, then anytime somebody needs a
new laptop/hard disk, you can load the "standard" Windows environment very
quickly.

Then either do your bare metal restore, or your CDP restore.