ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Antwort: [ADSM-L] TSM systemstate backups or NTBACKUP

2008-12-17 12:11:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Antwort: [ADSM-L] TSM systemstate backups or NTBACKUP
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:09:01 -0500
>Q: any products/stuff/kung-fu for booting/restoring windows servers
>from images via network ?
>
>something like nim or TSM sysback

As far as I know, there is no way to boot Windows over a network
with a normal hardware configuration (some servers made for factory
environments boot from remote disks using customized BIOS code
that maps requests for local disk I/O into some kind of network
protocol).

There are a some options for booting from removable media and
restoring a Windows operating system over a network. Cristie BMR
(Bare Metal Recovery) is fairly close to being the Windows
counterpart of Sysback.

Ghost is distinctly different in approach; it stores copies of disk
blocks rather than copies of files. I have never heard of anyone
using Ghost to maintain individualized backups of multiple systems,
but it is commonly used as a recovery mechanism for large populations
of identically configured workstations. If one of the workstations
suffers a disk failure or corruption of Windows, the original
configuration is restored from Ghost. Workstations that use this
approach are normally configured to put user documents on file
servers rather than local disk.