ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Anybody test Servergraph ..

2008-12-05 11:24:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Anybody test Servergraph ..
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 10:22:36 -0600
Greetings
We have Servergraph, and for a site our size (2100 TSM clients, 6 sites,
22 TSM server instances) it is a great help.  We use the Alerts, and the
threshold emails, and it has helped us avert disaster from a filled TSM
database, or out of scratch tapes, etc.  With four people managing 22
TSM servers, there isn't time to watch everything that can be happening
on all of them all the time, so you need good alerting.  And it is easy
to add alerts, which we have done as our circumstances required.

There are graphs that have helped us spot bottle necks and tune
performance, too.

It also has a couple things that I have not seen anywhere else, like the
hog report which shows which clients are using the most storage.  The
first time we looked at that we figured out that we had several Oracle
clients where RMAN was not expiring old data, and the backup data was
just growing continuously.  Catching that misconfiguration saved us
something like 20TBs of tape.  It also has a report of missed
filespaces.  We had a lot of Unix TSM clients where filesystems had been
deleted or renamed over time, but TSM still had the old filespace data
backed up for them, even though that filespace hadn't been backed up in
a year!  Cleaning those up reduced wasted space.

There are times in which the threshold emails are a little buggy.  When
a log crosses a threshold of say, 70%, it sends out a page saying it has
crossed the threshold, but not which way.  In other words, when it goes
above 70% it warns you, but later on when it drops below 70% it sends
out another email with the same subject line!  I would have expected the
subject line to say it has dropped below the threshold and you can stop
worrying, but instead it just says you have crossed the threshold. If
you read the text of the email it explains what it means, but the
subject line could be more helpful.

Another buggy alert happened when we migrated all the data from one
storage pool to another with "move data".  A few days later all the
tapes in the original storage pool expired and became scratches, and
Servergraph spit out an alert saying that the storage pool had reached
100% full!  So apparently a storage pool that shrinks to 0 tapes in it
is 100% full.

But aside from a couple idiosyncracies like that, it has performed well
and added a lot of peace of mind to running our environment.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Phone: 314-364-3150
Cell: 314-750-8721