ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Library manager v Gresham

2008-11-20 08:31:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Library manager v Gresham
From: "Copin, Christophe (Ext)" <Christophe.Copin AT CAISSEDESDEPOTS DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:28:56 +0100
Hi

I disagree. Except the price tag ...

Unfortunatelly, TSM built-in library manager is not smart enough for large
ACSLS libraries.
How do you handle multiple ACSLS scratch pools without external library manager
(Gresham or whatever) ?
What path optimization can be done without external library manager ? (to avoid
using the pass-through)
Let's say I would like TSM to choose the closest free drive (same LSM) to mount
a tape ... ... TSM uses tape drives in sequential order.

If your TSM Server hosts several instances, Gresham allows you not to depend on
one *critical* TSM library manager instance.
With an external manager, each instance is able to mount/dismount tapes as a
stand alone server would do.

In a nutshell, I would say the more larger is your library(ies), the worth
gresham is.
Actually i would say the drawback is only the price, and the fact you'll will
have to get a license for each storage agent. (;_;)
If you don't want to manage SL8500s and such large librairies, in that cases,
forget about Gresham and use TSM builtin manager.

Christophe.