ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fw: "Waiting for access to input volume"

2008-11-20 08:11:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fw: "Waiting for access to input volume"
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:09:40 -0500
Be careful about what you're wishing for there.  What you're saying, in
effect, is you'd rather a single backup run to completion than have your
daily DR preparation processing complete.  In other words, you're putting
the ability to locally restore files from this node above the ability to
recover your environment in the case of a disaster.

My preference, and likely that of most everyone else reading this, would be
to cancel the backup session, and let that one node be exposed.  Then spend
some time trying to track down why the backup was running so long.

This is one of the reasons to still have a DASD pool in front of your VTL.
VTL's are treated by TSM as tape, so some of the "bad" things about working
with tape still apply.

Nick Cassimatis

----- Forwarded by Nicholas Cassimatis/Raleigh/IBM on 11/20/2008 07:59 AM
-----

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/19/2008
05:32:39 PM: