ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives

2008-11-19 11:38:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:37:19 -0500
-----Allen S. Rout wrote: -----

>I've whined about this from time to time...  I've had tapes 10% full
>get 60% reclaimable and then they get copied.  I see no reason to
>reclaim a filling tape unless you figure you can get back at least
>
>    (reclaimpercent * max(estcapacity,actualcap))
>
>bytes.  In other words, -never- waste your effort trying to copy a
>tape that's only 1/3 full.

Reclaiming a full volume that was 60% reclaimable would create a
volume with 100% of its capacity available for future writes, at
the cost of using 40% of a volume to relocate the surviving
contents. This is a net gain of 60% of a volume available for
future writes.

The reclamation you describe still creates a volume with 100% of
its capacity available for future writes, at the cost of writing
off the 30% of the volume that was available for future writes and
using 10% of another volume to relocate the contents. This
results in the same net gain of 60% of a volume available for
future writes with only a quarter of the amount of data movement.
I don't see why you find this objectionable.