ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best use of disk storage

2008-11-14 21:49:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best use of disk storage
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:48:07 -0700
Michael,

I would choose 2.  Using JBOD disks build a cachepool with enough space for
incrementals.  With the rest of it built on RAID5, create onlinefile with
devclass file.  Choose a volume size of 25GB and create all the volumes
manually rather than having TSM create them for you on the fly.  This way you
avoid fragmentation.

You might also choose to use all devclass file pool space and send data
directly there instead of using the cachepool.  I would decide to do it that
way if I didn't have lots of clients backing up simultaneously as that pattern
is very hard on a RAID5 array.

Finally, I would target only that data that would really benefit from this type
of storage.  Probably file servers or the like.  I wouldn't use it for large
things, probably, like databases or Exchange data.  That will restore just as
fast from tape as from disk.

We routinely build our STORServers with a complete mix: cachepool JBOD on fast
disk, onlinefile RAID5 or relatively slower SATA disk, and onlinepool LTO4.
With this you can optimize both backups and restores.

One last thing: you really need to use devclass file on the bulk of the storage
as the disk device class does not provide space reclamation with the file
device does.

Thanks,

Kelly Lipp
CTO