ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to stop data from expiring

2008-11-06 04:06:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to stop data from expiring
From: Craig TSM <craig.outlook AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:05:38 +1300
Understand, though, what the actual TSM handling is, to fully
appreciate what happens with stored objects.  Files don't have
expiration dates in the TSM database: they have instantiation
datestamps and deactivation datestamps.  The deactivation datestamp
plus the retention period determines the expiration date and time for
backup objects.  By increasing the policy retention time, you can
prevent expiration - but, of course, it applies to the stored objects
for all nodes and filespaces which bound files to that management
class and copy group.

 Richard Sims

Interesting,  I am aware of the deactivation time you mentioned.
Now its been a while but from what I remember changing the policy
retention either by changing current or moving node to another, did not
change this deactivation date, remembering this is what I found for
files which were already deleted from client , and expiration has run
across TSM DB.
So what your saying is certainly true for active / non deleted files
from client.
Of course the original issue raised I believe files were still on
client. So no concern.

Also I discovered even if Expiration processing is stopped (which I
don't recommend) once the Deactivation date is reached, you cannot
restore the file!!!

Richard Sims wrote:
If you have backed a file up the expiration date _cannot_ be changed
if
file is already deleted !!! even if you associate with another Policy
with different retentions