ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ANS5013E Not enough memory for backup operation

2008-10-09 13:45:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ANS5013E Not enough memory for backup operation
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:44:25 -0400
Restore?????  Whoever thinks about that ;--)))

I would predict a lot longer than that.

When we had a major SAN failure on our old email server (25M objects), it
took 15-days to completely restore.  The OS overhead involved in
registering all those new files was immense.  Daily backups used to take
many many hours, since it was always at least 3+hours of time spent
getting the list of files from the TSM server (both systems were old AIX
so no journaling).

Nobody wants to do image backups. Especially since this box is not local
(e.g. 100mb) and has over 1TB of storage.

Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
10/09/2008 11:43 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] ANS5013E Not enough memory for backup operation

What does one think will happen if one needs to restore all of these
files?  Are you coupling traditional TSM backup with backup image?  I'm
thinking a restore of 10M files will take something like 50-100 hours to
complete, if it completes...

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.