ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Active Storage Pools

2008-09-30 12:58:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Active Storage Pools
From: "Bos, Karel" <Karel.Bos AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:57:01 +0200
It would be that more pratical if you could just update your diskpool
with something like "upd stg XX cache=yes activestorage=yes", leaving
just cached copies of the active version on disk.

cpreston ha scritto:
> Howard Coles wrote:
>
>> 1.  Is anyone on the list here actually using it?
>> 2.  Is there a way just to copy a node's data (not all the nodes in a

>> domain or storage pool) to the active pool?
>>

> Looks like the answer to #1 is No. ;)  I've tried to talk a number of
TSM admins into this, and so far haven't gotten any takers. They tell me
that the challenge is that it is another administrative task.  The copy
of active data does not replace anything you're already doing.  It's an
additional copy (that must be managed by the expiration process) to an
additional pool that must be reclaimed just like any other pool.  Both
of these increase the number and/or duration of administrative tasks,
which is the last thing that the TSM admins I've talked to want to do.

> As to #2, I asked about this a while back, and someone said you could
say COPY ACTIVE-DATA NODENAME, but that is NOT in the documentation; nor
can I find it anywhere else.