ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LAN-FREE backup from Win2k to LTO4

2008-09-25 10:44:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LAN-FREE backup from Win2k to LTO4
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:43:33 -0500
Greetings,
        Perhaps my suggestion is too outside the box, but why would an older
Win2k box NEED to be Lan-free?  In most cases I have found that a Win2K box
can't push the data fast enough to saturate a 1Gb Ethernet link anyway, and
usually not even a fraction of that.  If they have a lot of files to back up
going straight to tape might be a little faster, but if you have the TSM
Journal set up right and a recent enough version of the TSM client to get the
best IP performance, you may find the time of a Lan backup is acceptable.  You
may want to take the Lan-free option out of dsm.opt and give it a try, just to
see the difference.
        Of course, I am assuming this won't overload your TSM server, you
didn't tell us about that side of your situation.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Phone: 314-364-3150
Cell: 314-750-8721