ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] mergefilespaces and import

2008-09-24 16:28:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] mergefilespaces and import
From: Steve Stackwick <sstackwick AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:27:29 -0400
The doc for IMPORT NODE claims that MERGEFILESPACES cannot be used
unless you're doing a server2server import. This seemed to be a
distinct bummer for me, so I decided the doc was wrong and to try it
anyway using a media EXPORT and IMPORT. No complaints, it seemed like
it merged the filespaces OK. Is the doc wrong, or am I crazy, and when
did this change?

Linux TSM server, version 5.5.0

without MERGEFILESPACES:

09/24/2008 15:16:35  ANR0636I IMPORT NODE: Processing file space /boot for node
                      ERASERHEAD as file space /boo1. (PROCESS: 42)

the existing filespace /boot is renamed as I expected.

with MERGEFILESPACES (not supposed to work):

09/24/2008 15:18:51  ANR2017I Administrator ERASERHEAD issued command: IMPORT
                      NODE eraserhead filedata=all
                      volume=/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/22283276.EXP
                      devclass=FILE mergefilespaces=yes

09/24/2008 15:18:51  ANR0636I IMPORT NODE: Processing file space /boot for node
                      ERASERHEAD as file space /boot. (PROCESS: 44)

No rename! This I like, but I'm a little nervous.

--
Stephen Stackwick
Jacob & Sundstrom, Inc.