ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] There are not enough scratch volumes available

2008-09-08 19:32:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] There are not enough scratch volumes available
From: "Conway, Timothy" <tim.conway AT JBSSWIFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:31:00 -0600
It is difficult to determine your actual question.  I presume you have
an operation you are attempting to perform which is failing with the
subject as an error message.
Is the below a complete listing of all of your tape volumes?
It appears that your off_site_pool is not being correctly managed...
checkout libv without marking them offsite.  "move drm" handles all such
operations for you, keeping it all in order.  But, that's probably not
the issue.
Do you have space to check some scratch volumes into your library?  My
guess is that you do not yet know.
Send us the output of
show slots <libraryname>
and please, do it tab-delimited so we don't have to play "splice the
line".
Please also send a "q libv f=d", same format.
Between the two, we can see what's in the library and what CAN be in the
library.
Before you do the two commands, please wait until no tapes are in use,
dismount volume on any that are sitting idle.  disa ses and run an
aud libr <libraryname> checklabel=barcode
So we can now that TSM knows correctly what is there.  Run the show
slots and q libv right afterward while the library's still quiesced,
then ena ses.  There is no importance in running the q libv while
quiesced, but it takes no time to do it, and it IS important to show
slots while the library's not doing anything, and you get nicer results
if nothing's mounted, too.   If you are not allowed to disa ses, and you
get "Library <libraryname> is busy.", keep trying until you DO get a run
without that message, or we can't see the slots.  We still get the slot
count, but it'd be nicer to have the details, just in case.
Also send
q devc
q stg
Then we can start to figure out what owns what volume, where they all
are, and what we can do about it.
With good luck, you have a well-designed but neglected system, and we'll
find that you just need to have the operations people stick some tapes
in your I/O door and you can check them in as scratch.
There's another type of luck, however...

If you like, just send those queries directly to me, to avoid cluttering
the list with potentially thousands of lines of queries.

cd