ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving a Wintel node to a new piece of like hardware

2008-09-03 18:35:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving a Wintel node to a new piece of like hardware
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:34:27 -0400
Depends--

You are keeping the nodename the same, and TSM doesn't care if the IP
address or client version changes.
For Windows clients, it DOES matter if the hostname (computer name) changes.

Do:  Q FILESPACE nodename
You'll see what TSM is looking for.

For windows, the filespace name is the Windows UNC name, e.g. \\oldnode\c$

If the new client has a different hostname, TSm will see the new names as
\\newnode\c$, and you'll get a full backup of the new drive.

If the host name doesn't change, TSM will just see the new drive as
\\oldnode\c$, and you'll get an incremental.

But you can cheat - if the hostname is changing, and you want the backups to
be incremental, you can RENAME the filespace on the TSM server to
\\newnode\x$; if you do that BEFORE the first backup of the new system,
you'll get an incremental.

Also, if the hostname has changed, the SYSTEM STATE backups will NOT be
restorable on the new system, so you might as well blow those filespaces
away.

My recommendation:

   - Let TSM take a new full backup of c$
   - Keep the old \\oldnode\c$ filespace around for a few weeks, then blow
   it away.
   - If there are data drives, rename the filespaces on the TSM server to
   \\newnode\x$ so you move forward with incrementals.
   - Rename the system state backups to OLDNODE-SYSTEMSTATE, and after a few
   weeks blow them away.  TSM will automatically create a new SYSTEMSTATE
   filespace as part of the first backup.